Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Lesson

Had a great conversation with my sweet daughter tonight on the way home from church.  We were talking about this and that and she said something about why she had done something.  I told her something that has helped me so much over the last 4 months~ Sweetheart, you have to do the right thing for yourself and because of yourself not so because you would like to "prove" something to someone else.  When we set out to "prove" someone else wrong or out do them, we just end up defeating ourselves and/or hurting ourselves. 

I got to thinking about that while listening to my friend Jason tonight.  I do a lot of things in my life with my family in the fore front of my mind.  But when I set out on this healthy weight lose journey, I had to do it for me.  I can't do it to prove someone else wrong or show someone else up.  I am not in competition with anyone but myself.   It had to be my decision and my desire.

While listening to Jason, something was said that hit home on a lot of different levels.....  It does not matter where you were or how you started.  It only matters how you finish!  What matters now is where I am a year from now and beyond, not where I was last year. 

Ask yourself some honest and tough questions~Am I doing (fill in the blank) to prove someone else wrong?  Am I doing (fill in the blank) to show (fill in the blank) up cause I am going to prove that I can do it better or I am better?  Then I truly challenge to rethink your relationship with yourself cause the only person you are going to hurt is the person looking back at you in the mirror! 

Thanks Mary Lane and Jason for today's lesson!!!  Blessed beyond measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment