Friday, October 14, 2011

Focus on task at hand!

In a little over 16 hours, I will be doing something that I have never done before ~ a 1/2 marathon!  If you had said a year ago ~ Hey, Beth, in Oct of 2011, you will do a 1/2 marathon ~ I probably would have spewed Dr. Pepper out of my nose!
This was me with Aaron Solomon a little over a year ago!

A year ago, I was not exercising so NO muscle tone, about 35 pounds heavier, and about 3 (maybe 4) sizes bigger!  This has been a tough years in so many ways.  So many obstacles have been at every turn.  And even a few obstacles placed by the most unlikely people?  But thru it all, I have tried very hard to be completely focused and very honest with myself!  When I look at the 35 pounds lost, at first, I was completely bummed that the number had not been moving cause after all I was raised to think that whatever number is on the scale is the gospel truth!  My great friend, Trenda, reminded me one day ~ don't get hung up on the scale number ~ muscle weighs more than fat and GIRL you have converted!!!  I love that I have friends around me that not only encourage me but will be honest with me!  I know I have a ton of work to do to get to my goal but I am on the right path.

That path began last January with a phone call from a good friend, Jennifer Boyd, and I have not looked back.  When I started walking(really walking) in March, I could not believe how hard it was!  But I pushed thru it!  By May 5, something came over me, and before I knew it I was signed up for the Murfreesboro Middle Half.  Well, in May ~ October 15 seemed like FOREVER! And now it is HERE!!!  In May, I was completely worried at what I read ~  15 minute Mile ~ at the 6 mile mark by an hour 1/2 after start ~ if not get on cart and don't cross finish line ~ OH MY GOSH was I prepared for that!  Was I crazy! So I clicked submit and have not looked back!  Then my sweet daughters said hey we will do it with you!  Then my sweet friend Annie (who just did a FULL marathon last Sunday) said, I will stay with you ~ we will get you to the 6 mile mark!  SO again I focused on the task at hand and on my long day I went 10 miles, not even really trying to do it in a time limit, in 2 1/2 hours ~ a 15 minute mile!  And my daddy talked to me thru mile 8 & 9 ~ and KNEW ME!  (another story) 
So the past several weeks, my focus has been to get my 15 minute for sure mile down and I have!  My best mile has been 12.70!  So now my goal is about a 13 minute mile average and to not only FINISH my FIRST 1/2 Marathon but to come in at or under 3 hours!  (My Birthday Goal is 1000 miles! As of today, I have logged 460 miles since mid March!  But I must focus on the task at hand!!!) 

OH MY GOSH~ I have a bib number with my name on it!!!
And the other two ~ they are AMAZING!!!
My Daughters INSPIRE me!




No comments:

Post a Comment